Sunday, October 21, 2007

Review - Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

I must admit I found the experience of reading "The Lies of Locke Lamora" very disappointing. No, the book was great I was just having a tough time finding the necessary hours to read it. That all changed yesterday. I didn't intend to read the final 400 pages yesterday. I didn't even want to. I just couldn't help myself.

If "Lies" were a movie it would be a little "Oceans Eleven", with a bit of "The Talented Mr. Ripley", and just a pinch of "The Godfather". The tale follows the lives of a gang of thieves and conmen known collectively as the Gentlemen Bastards. Lead by orphan turned thief Locke Lamora the Bastards are no longer content with petty theft and pickpocketing they've set their sights on bigger fish, the noble houses of Comorra. Using lessons learned in their youth from their mentor Chains, lessons shown to the reader via multiple flashbacks, the Bastards become Comorra's worst nightmare. But then again they may also be its only hope.

I really enjoyed this novel. When I finally got a few free hours I flew through the pages. The book reads as a great fantasy novel, a great crime novel and a great mystery all rolled together. It's an interesting duality that the criminals are also the detectives in a way, both creating and solving mysteries. Watch for Scott Lynch in the coming years, this novel is amazing as a debut and I think we'll be seeing big things from him in the years to come.

I actually enjoyed this book so much I decided to buy a Limited Edition copy from Subterranean Press.

Rating 9.3/10

No comments: